About RRC East
About RRC-East IMS BHU: The Regional Resource Centre (Eastern Region) Telemedicine is a unit under Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India with service of excellence in the field of eHealth Care. Situated in the city of Temples (Kashi) and located in the premises of Sir Sunderlal Hospital, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, the Regional Resource Center (Eastern Region), Telemedicine continues to deliver Remote Health Care and related tele-services for health and wellness of the nation.
About the Institute: Medical education in Varanasi, the oldest living city of the world, dates from the days of Sushruta 500 BC. Infact this is also the history of medical education in India. The great treatise - 'Sushruta Samhita' is a living testimony of contributions to medical education that originated in Varanasi. Sushruta was the first to perform cadaver dissections and described a number of operating instruments and surgical operations. Perhaps it is a continuation of this historical perspective that medical education in Banaras Hindu University took roots in 1920 with the establishment of Department of Ayurveda under Faculty of Oriental Learning and Theology (1922-1927).
Years later, in 1960 the Ayurvedic College was converted to the College of Medical Sciences with Professor K.N. Udupa as its founder principal. The College of Medical Sciences then had 10 Departments - 9 in Modern Medicine and 1 in Indian Medicine. In 1963, MBBS training was recognized both by General Medical Council, U.K. and Medical Council of India. The Post Graduate Institute of Indian Medicine (since 1963) was merged with Institute of Medical Sciences established in 1971.
The postgraduate medical education, started as in-service program in 1963 (3 years after establishment of Medical College), took the form of a formal training program in 1971 after due permission from the Visitor of the Banaras Hindu University i.e., the President of India. This upgraded College of Medical Sciences to Institute of Medical Sciences in 1971.
Further growth of postgraduate education continued with approval of DM and MCh courses in 10 Super specialties in 1976. In 1978, the existing Faculty was bifurcated into the Faculty of Ayurveda and Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Dental Sciences and School of Nursing to facilitate their independent growth.
Contact Details: IMS
Director: Prof. S.N.Shankhwar,
(M.S, M.Ch, FICS, MHA, MNAMS, PGDHHM)
Email ID: email@example.com
Regional Resource Center (Eastern Region), Telemedicine
Nodal Officer: Prof. (Dr.) N. K. Agrawal<